Problems with split recipients

DAve dave.list at pixelhammer.com
Wed Dec 6 17:16:55 GMT 2006

Ken A wrote:

> DAve wrote:
>> Ken A wrote:

>>> You should have 2 instances of sendmail running (incoming and outgoing)
>>> The incoming queue should be using /var/spool/mqueue.in and the
>>> outgoing sendmail instance should be using /var/spool/mqueue/.
>>>
>>> You should make the changes for split recipients in the .mc or .cf
>>> for the incoming sendmail ONLY. You'll need to create a separate .mc
>>> and .cf for this instance of sendmail if you are splitting
>>> recipients, and make changes to the MailScanner init script where
>>> needed, per the doc you referred to.
>>>
>>> Note that in normal MailScanner installation, the incoming and
>>> outgoing sendmail's use the same sendmail.cf.
>>
>> All that was done, we have always run a split queue on our MailScanner
>> servers.
>
> I may just be being dense(regular occurrance) but if you have had split
> queues all along, there's no reason for this issue to pop up now that
> you have enabled queue groups. Queue groups enabled to split recipients
> don't add additional queue directories. In any case, I'm glad it's
> flowing now!

Therein lies my confusion! I would not have thought that would be an
issue either. Apparently, Sendmail requires a "parent" directory, or the
default group directory to be defined. All created queues must be within
that directory.

I found this based on a search of the error. Unfortunately my BatBook is
too old for the new features of 8.13.8. The entire problem might be have
been related to using two milters.

DAve

> Ken A.
> Pacific.Net
>
>> I have stopped the errors by making changes to my queues, as follows.
>>
>> added a new queue dir of /var/spool/mailq
>> added incoming queue at /var/spool/mailq/mqueue.in
>> added outgoing queue at /var/spool/mailq/mqueue
>>
>> adjusted my MailScanner.conf and start scripts accordingly.
>> added "define(`QUEUE_DIR','/var/spool/mailq')dnl to my incoming *.mc
>> and rebuilt my incoming *.cf file. Restarted Sendmail.
>>
>> Now the SYSERR messages are gone, watching my out queue now to see if
>> it drops.
>>
>> DAve
>>>
>>> Ken A.
>>> Pacific.Net