Greylisting (WAS: Re: MailScanner ANNOUNCE: 4.57 released)

Glenn Steen glenn.steen at gmail.com
Wed Dec 6 08:14:15 GMT 2006

On 05/12/06, Nerijus Baliunas <nerijus at users.sourceforge.net> wrote:

> > > If you mean just raw messages - then yes, I sent them to Julian, but if you
> > > mean queue files - then no (how/where should I take them from?).
> >
> > That's easy Nerjus.... I'll try be a bit more eloquent than last time:-)....
> > Stop mailscanner, start postfix, send the testmessage, look in the log
> > what queue ID it got (or just trawl through "postqueue -p" (a.k.a.
> > mailq), copy that file (queue ID == filename) from the hold queue
> > (after all, it's just a file). Then stop Postfix and restart
> > MailScanner...
> >
> > Disable the missbehaving milter, repeat the above... And voila, there
> > you have it, "the same" message in a working and a non-working queue
> > file. Makes it possible for Jules (or one of us other postfixers:-) to
> > try see what goes wrong... without having to implement the same exact
> > setup you have.
>
> OK, here they are attached. message1 and queue1 are with milter-greylist,
> message2 and queue2 - without.
>
> Regards,
> Nerijus
>
> P.S. CCing Julian too, but as he is probably busy, I hope some of other postfixers
> will take a look. Thanks.

I typed a longish reply to this one yesterday, which gmail then
promptly swallowed:-).
Oh well.

The gist of it was "If I get time, I'll look at the code"... and
"interresting that postcat demangles it correctly (so that the postcat
of each queue file is ... well, as close to identical as possible)
...".

Don't have much spare time ATM though, so don't hold your breath:-).
Who knows, Jules might find the time to look at it before the weekend
(when I'll be likely having an hour to spend:-).

--
-- Glenn