Greylisting (WAS: Re: MailScanner ANNOUNCE: 4.57 released)

Denis Beauchemin Denis.Beauchemin at USherbrooke.ca
Mon Dec 4 21:22:04 GMT 2006

Richard Frovarp a écrit :
> Michel van der Klei wrote:
>> On Sun, 3 Dec 2006 01:42:02 +0200 Nerijus Baliunas
>> <nerijus at users.sourceforge.net> wrote:
>>
>>> Hello,
>>>
>>> I still get message corruption which I reported a few days ago when
>>> using Postfix with milter-greylist 3.0.
>>>

>> What are the big advantages of milter-greylist? I use postgrey in
>> combination
>> with mailscanner and i'm very statisfied with the results. AFAIK is
>> postgrey
>> the tool to use with postfix.
>>

> milter-greylist allows syncing of the greylists amongst several
> servers. I did not see the other sendmail milters advertising that
> capability. I don't know if postgrey can do this or not.
I too chose milter-greylist for this reason but I stopped using it last
Friday because it caused swapping ;-)  Really, it was a memory and cpu
hog.  And it had all sorts of problems replicating its triplets to my
other servers... I would have had to recompile it with larger buffers
and it would just have eaten more memory...

I also saw something strange that frustrated  upper management: a
message came in with a given triplet and was greylisted for 5 minutes
(good!). two hours later the same triplet came back (at least it looked
identical in my maillog) but the message was greylisted again by the
same server (bad!).  The message was accepted on its fourth try, almost
8 hours after the initial one (really bad!).

Denis

--
   _
  °v°   Denis Beauchemin, analyste