How do others do it?

Drew Marshall drew at technologytiger.net
Tue Dec 5 23:36:10 GMT 2006

On 5 Dec 2006, at 23:04, Alex Neuman van der Hans wrote:

> He may be in fact being more of a hindrance than a help, since his
> University is now *more* likely to be blacklisted as a spammer.
>
> Gerard Seibert wrote:
>>> Unfortunately, since nearly all spam comes from forged addresses,
>>> your
>>> bounce message is explaining it to the wrong people.  Assuming
>>> you mean
>>> "bounce" the same way I do.  I get a ton of "bounce message" spam
>>> because of forged messages, even though I use SPF.  Annoying.  I
>>> hope
>>> I'm just misunderstanding you, because if not, you're a spammer,
>>> even if
>>> you aren't aware of it.
>> Worse, continuing this 'backscatter' might very well get his
>> University
>> black-listed. SPAM and virus infected mail should be silently
>> discarded.

I think you have misunderstood what Denis meant. It sounds to me like
he bounces what looks like Spam back to his students. I would guess
(Hope?) he is using smtpauth or some other check that prevents the
students from relaying with a faked from address, so he knows who
they are. By bouncing the mail back to them, it stops their mail
being silently dropped or otherwise undelivered (Or worse still
putting the University on a RBL). I don't believe that Denis is
suggesting he bounces Spam to any one other than the local users. You
don't do you Denis?? :-)

Drew