OT: Alpha of Milter-Spamtrap

Dennis Willson taz at taz-mania.com
Fri Dec 1 06:50:14 GMT 2006

I put an alpha version of milter-spamtrap up on sourceforge.
http://sourceforge.net/projects/milter-spamtrap

I will do more testing this weekend and upload a new version. If anyone
wants to download it and look it over that would be great.
I am also looking for some input on something. Originally, I had thought
you would have a choice as to only save the IP addresses in a file or
use the MySQL database or both. However, when I think back to when I did
my dedicated spamtrap I hit about 1 million entries in a relatively
short time. I think that is way too many for text files. I think I
should keep the text files only for debug purposes, I think it would be
un-workable to have it read in a million IP addresses from a text file
on startup to do the blocking.

Features:
    - external editable text configuration file;
    - whitelists by an IP address (CIDR notation)
    - blocks servers that have previously sent Spam
    - fast in-memory cache of blacklisted servers
    - cache entries time-out after an hour so if they have been removed from
      the database they will go away. If milter-spamtrap receives
another Spam
      from the same server, it will find it in the database and place it
in the
      cache for another hour (only works with MySQL database support)
    - optional MySQL database of blacklisted servers
    - optional saving of Spam headers and/or body to show what caused the
      offending server to be placed on the blacklist
    - optional cron job to convert database entries to a BIND DNSBL zone
file
      so you can share your blacklist with others
    - ability to mark an IP address as 'inactive' but not lose the listing
      so that a history can be maintained (only available when logging to a
      MySQL database)
    - ability to have one or more individual email addresses defined as
honeypots
    - ability to have one or more whole domains defined as honeypots
    - optional extensive debug logging