problem with recive mail from gmx

Glenn Steen glenn.steen at gmail.com
Thu Aug 31 09:32:13 IST 2006

On 31/08/06, Dörfler Andreas <Andreas.Doerfler at kempten.de> wrote:
> > DAve
> > I get those at least a few times a day. I ignore them, no complaints
> > from clients so far ;^) My Network admin suggested it was MTU size. I
> > did find this explanation. No idea if it will cause your server to
> > crash, stock prices to fall, or increase global warming.
> > Investigate and
> > make you own decision.
> >
> > http://www.hitechsavvy.com/print.php?sid=210
>
> well, ive tried it (no risk no fun ^^) but it only raised the problem
> with other mailers

Yes, kind of makes sense. If the icmp fragmentation get lost somewhere
(by someone "overzealosly" denying _all_ icmp packets), and this is
all you see of it (this only one sender), it is very likely that the
"denying" is done close to them.... not you. In which case it is a
problem you simply cannot solve (without interraction with ... them).
One could say "they get what they deserve":-).

> > -- Glenn
> > Not with them, and not anyone else... for the time being. "Educating"
> > the other parties postmaster is the only way I know, and that only
> > works some times (when they want to be ... "clued in":-).
> > Other than that, I say it's their problem:-).
>
> jea, but my users make it to my problem :/
> howto say em "forget that crap freemailer, take another one" ...
Ah yes. In my semi-corporate .gov environment, these things can
usually be handled (if it is a "relevant contact", at least)... and
the rest be damned:-):-). I appreciate that you might have a somewhat
different situation, but it is rather likely that there is nothing you
_can_ do:-(.

Then again, I might be wrong:-)
--
-- Glenn