mqueue.in just gets bigger - no delivery?

Brett Charbeneau brett at wrl.org
Wed Aug 30 18:58:23 IST 2006

On Wed, 30 Aug 2006, Logan Shaw wrote:

LS> So, to me the next step is to kill the incoming sendmail. That will prevent
LS> *it* from putting more messages in the queue. Then, barring anything truly
LS> weird, there is no other software other than MailScanner that would know to
LS> put messages into that queue.  So if the incoming sendmail is off and the
LS> number of messages in the queue grows, you know MailScanner is adding them.
LS> On the other hand, if incoming sendmail is killed and the number of messages
LS> in the queue then starts shrinking, you know it's a backlog thing.

	Good idea!
	Okay, at 1:38 I killed Sendmail and MailScanner, then started
MailScanner (via /etc/init.d/mailscanner) - MailWatch shows

Inbound   51
Outbound   2

	and here's a count of the files in the queues:

ls -al /var/spool/mqueue | wc -l
58
ls -al /var/spool/mqueue.in | wc -l
54

	I checked to make sure MailScanner had children running throughout this
test.
	At 1:43:

Inbound   51
Outbound   1