mqueue.in just gets bigger - no delivery?

Logan Shaw lshaw at emitinc.com
Tue Aug 29 23:35:01 IST 2006

On Tue, 29 Aug 2006, Brett Charbeneau wrote:

> Greetings,
>
> 	I'd be grateful for any help anyone can find the time to offer!
> 	Our Debian mail server is a P4 3200 Ghz with 2GB of RAM and Ultra-320
> SCSI drives, we handle about 6K messages a day.
> 	The building we are in is under renovation and our roofers were
> wielding sledge hammers with abandon when it seemed our swap partition had a
> crash. (Lots of CRC errors from the /tmp directory on the console.)
> 	I've since e2fsck'd the entire disk and swapped out the motherboard
> with an identical model.

Not that e2fsck fixes errors on swap partitions, but it's a good
idea anyway, I guess.

> 	The MTA is sendmail and while this was a successful install
> originally, I've made sure to go over the sendmail/MailScanner instructions
> found here:
>
> http://www.mailscanner.info/sendmail.html
>
> 	The problem we are experiencing is that the mqueue.in directory just
> keeps growing and no mail is being delivered. MailWatch shows we've got 630
> inbound messages as I type - and the number keeps getting bigger.

First question:  when you start MailScanner, does it successfully
start and stay running?

Next question:  does it spawn children?  Look at the output of
"ps -ef | grep MailScanner" to see if it does.

Next question:  does it appear to be processing messages?  What is
it logging to syslog?  (Do a "grep MailScanner /var/log/maillog" or
similar.)

   - Logan