List of variables for substitution in reports?

David Lee t.d.lee at durham.ac.uk
Tue Aug 29 16:05:40 IST 2006

On Sat, 26 Aug 2006, Julian Field wrote:

> My sample report files each use all the available variables in each one.
> If you need something else somewhere, let me know and I will see about
> adding it for you.
>
> Sorry it's no more consistent than that.

I wonder also if there is a particular consistency issue with "hostname"?

The report files refer to lower-case '$hostname'.  But MailScanner.conf
seems to contain a definition:
   Hostname = the %org-name% ($HOSTNAME) MailScanner

whose RHS has this as upper-case.  (I understand that the case of its LHS
is irrelevant).

The reports we (org-name: DurhamAcUk) have been getting over the years
contain an empty string:
   the DurhamAcUk () MailScanner

This email thread has prompted me to check deeper.

I wonder whether that peculiar "()" might be because the upper-case
(default, I think) "$HOSTNAME" in MS.conf is not recognised.

Julian: Could you check and comment upon this, please?

(MS versions various over the years, but include up to 4.55.10 .)

:  Senior Systems Programmer                Computer Centre       :
:                                           Durham University     :
:                                           Durham DH1 3LE        :