MailScanner ignoring child process limit

Logan Shaw lshaw at emitinc.com
Mon Aug 28 21:26:28 IST 2006

On Mon, 28 Aug 2006, TCIS List Acct wrote:
> ... I regularly see 35+ child processes.  I also see about 4 "masters":
>
> 1:08PM   0:00.03 MailScanner: master waiting for children, sleeping
> 1:15PM   0:00.03 MailScanner: master waiting for children, sleeping
> 1:30PM   0:00.02 MailScanner: master waiting for children, sleeping
> 1:45PM   0:00.02 MailScanner: master waiting for children, sleeping

I would venture a guess that something is wrong with the way
(whatever)/bin/check_mailscanner is working.  It's supposed to
detect whether MailScanner is running, and if not, start it.
It seems like something is probably wrong with the way that
it checks and it's failing to see that one is already running.

Oh yeah, almost forgot to mention, on the default setup,
check_mailscanner is run from cron periodically.

   - Logan