Config error....spamwhitelist

Julian Field mailscanner at ecs.soton.ac.uk
Sat Aug 26 15:50:42 IST 2006

You have a rule in there that says either
To: 10.2.3.4 yes
or
FromOrTo: 10.2.3.4 yes
haven't you?

You cannot match a destination IP address in a rule. There is no way of
knowing exactly what IP address the message will be delivered to until
you are actually in the process of sending the bytes of data to it, due
to the fault-tolerant way in which internet email delivery works.

You can do a "From" match against an IP address, but certainly not a To
or a FromOrTo.

jchezny at northcarolina.edu wrote:
> All,
> I am using spam.whitelist.rules in my configuration (Is Definitely Not Spam =
> %rules-dir%/spam.whitelist.rules); and have notice this error message in the
> logs:
>  * Config Error: Cannot match against  destination IP address when resolving
> configuration option  "spamwhitelist" *
>
> Otherwise, my installation works like a charm. MailScanner has served us
> faithfully for more than three years now. Thanks Julian for such a great
> product-I bought the book and a golf shirt!
>
> My configuration:
> Running on Linux  2.6.9-42.ELsmp #1 SMP Wed Jul 12 23:27:17 EDT 2006 i686  i686
> i386 GNU/Linux
>  - This is Red Hat Enterprise Linux ES release 4 (Nahant Update 4)
>  - This is Perl version 5.008005 (5.8.5)
>  - This is MailScanner version 4.51.6
>  - This is Postfix version 2.2.10
>  - This is a Dell PE 2850, 2x2.8Ghz, 1GB RAM
>
> Any ideas? Thanks in advance for any assistance you provide.
>
> Kind regards,
>
> J. Chezny

> This message was sent with UNC-GA Webmail http://webmail.northcarolina.edu

- --