Solaris 10 init.d startup failing

Jeff A. Earickson jaearick at colby.edu
Thu Aug 24 17:40:27 IST 2006

Hi,

Yes, I run MS 4.55.8 on Solaris 10 and I have been chasing this
illusive bug since May (with no success).  The gist of it is that
your init.d script will work great in Solaris 9, but cause MS
to loop up in Solaris 10.  The init.d script will also work fine
if MS is in debug mode.  I use sendmail, BTW.

The work-around for me is to let MailScanner start via cron, eg:

0,5,10,15,20,25,30,35,40,45,50,55 * * * * [ -x /opt/MailScanner/bin/check_mailscanner ] && /opt/MailScanner/bin/check_mailscanner >/dev/null 2>&1

Cool your heels for up to five minutes, and then cron will get
MS launched properly.  The last suggestion on the list was maybe
a PATH issue in the script, but I haven't had a chance to try this
idea.

Jeff Earickson
Colby College