Solaris 10 init.d startup failing

Ray Gardener R.A.Gardener at shu.ac.uk
Thu Aug 24 17:29:26 IST 2006

Hi,

I had cause to reboot a Sunblade server running Exim and MailScanner
version 4.53.8 and noticed a error. The mailscanner program is started by
invoking MailScanner from the exim startup script in /etc/init.d. [I know
this is a legacy method for Solaris 10 but do this to maintain consistency
with other mailhubs based on Solaris 9]. On boot-up mainscannner instances
were started and the startup log line was present in /var/log/maillog but
the instances of mailscanner ate memory very quickly and didn't process
mail. Pkilling the mailscanner instances and stopping and starting the
init.d script resulted in a working system processing mail.

Has anyone else seen this on Solaris 10 and if so is there a workaround?
Incientally I later created a smf mailscanner service and tried to use
that to start
mailscanner but this also ate memory and didn't process mail.

Regards,
Ray Gardener,
IT Services, LITS,
Sheffield Hallam University,