Greylisting (WAS: gif attachments)

John Rudd jrudd at ucsc.edu
Thu Aug 24 00:15:04 IST 2006

On Aug 23, 2006, at 14:02, Daniel Maher wrote:

> [...]

You kind of have to make the decision of whether you're going to
enforce standards and endure the complaints from idiots within your own
organization (who, unfortunately, might be politically powerful idiots)
... or you're going to not have hard and meaningful standards in the
name of practicality.  Not an easy decision in some environments.

The unfortunate part is, it sometimes depends on whether or not your
boss and bosses boss, etc., will shield you from the fallout of
enforcing standards.  I personally think that's the better path.  But
no one outside of your organization can really say whether it'll work
for you.

My personal answer, though, is: No SMTP server which behaves in the
manner you describe qualifies for the label "legitimate".  But, my
definition of legitimate may vary slightly from yours.