Greylisting (WAS: gif attachments)

Steve Boone sboone at pyrontechnologies.com
Wed Aug 23 22:33:04 IST 2006

I have noticed this behavior more from smaller ISPs.  I have been running greylisting for a while and have had no problems with delivery from the larger mail servers.  It's the people with accounts at the small town ISP that run into problems with their mail servers bouncing greylisted messages.

I have noticed that even though I have the greylisting timeout set to 5 minutes, many servers wait anywhere from 20 minutes to several hours before retrying delivery.  I find myself having to whitelist servers for people all the time because of this (because of course, their email is "time sensitive").  All in all though, the reduction in traffic through my MailScanner is well worth the tradeoff.

Steve