Thoughts on Barracudas?

TCIS List Acct listacct at tulsaconnect.com
Mon Aug 21 16:15:22 IST 2006

Julian Field wrote:

> What is your opinion on the Barracuda appliance?
> How easy is it to use?
> Does it actually work?
> Can it survive the loads they say it can?
>
> And, of course, how does it compare with MailScanner?
>
> Please be open and honest, and as impartial as you can.
>
> All of your thoughts are most welcome.

We demo'ed a few model 400 (I think) appliances a year or so ago.  My impression
was that it was just a fancy front-end on a SA-based scanner with ClamAV as the
AV engine.  The accuracy was comparable to SA native.  I agree with others who
said that SA maintenance is the key to accuracy -- after all, MS isn't doing
much spam "identification" itself, it just puts together all the needed tools to
do so.  Barracuda may make the maintenance easier for the lazy, but you do loose
a lot of flexibility.

<plug> Fort System's DefenderMX product, http://www.fsl.com/ , is the way to go
if you want a appliance solution based on MS. </plug>

Mike Bacher / listacct at tulsaconnect.com
TCIS - TulsaConnect Internet Services
http://www.tulsaconnect.com