Thoughts on Barracudas?

Dhawal Doshy dhawal at netmagicsolutions.com
Mon Aug 21 14:30:20 IST 2006

Julian Field wrote:
[SNIP]
> What is your opinion on the Barracuda appliance?
> How easy is it to use?
> Does it actually work?
> Can it survive the loads they say it can?
>
> And, of course, how does it compare with MailScanner?
>
> Please be open and honest, and as impartial as you can.
>
> All of your thoughts are most welcome.

We managed to convince a customer (5K+ users) to use MS (though it was
and always is mostly a commercial game). Spam is an evolving thing and
MS is doing well enough. The MTA+SA part on which MS really depends for
spam rejection/detection is the weak link (though a properly configured
MTA+SA works better than a barracuda).

Where barracuda and other commercial products have an advantage is the
fact that they use "your appliance" for distributed checksumming
(something like razor/dcc) thus giving them better spam detection, maybe
they also use "your appliance" as a spamtrap. Add automated updates (at
both engine + rules level) and a pretty GUI for finishing touches.. The
appliance from the folks at FSL is way better compared to a barracuda.

IMHO, MS + MailWatch does it quite well. Maybe (just maybe) you would
want to consider URIBL support in MS (for non-SA users) OR a MS-Milter
OR something on these lines.

Finally, check barracuda's security track record if you really want to
convince someone away from them..

- dhawal