Thoughts on Barracudas?

Michael H. Martel martelm at quark.vsc.edu
Mon Aug 21 14:14:46 IST 2006

--On August 21, 2006 1:51:13 PM +0100 Julian Field
<MailScanner at ecs.soton.ac.uk> wrote:

> What is your opinion on the Barracuda appliance?

I don't like it.  I was forced into it by Management.  They were wowed by
the graphical front end that allowed individual users to manage their own
white and black lists.  I think that the biggest thing it's got going for
it is the graphical interface.  Remove that and it's not that good.

> How easy is it to use?

Easy to use, but not very flexible.  You can't edit scores for rules, and a
lot of the settings are for the entire box and not per domain.

> Does it actually work?

Yes, it does.

> Can it survive the loads they say it can?

Don't know.  We push about 40k messages a day through it in the summer, and
about 120k messages a day once classes start (today!).  I don't know what
it's rated for.  We're using a model 600.

> And, of course, how does it compare with MailScanner?

The only thing that it does better than my MailScanner setup, IMHO, is that
it blocks at the SMTP level based on black lists.  I just haven't bothered
to enable the checks in Sendmail to do this myself. :)

I haven't found anything that the Barracuda does that I can't do in
MailScanner.  Other than the GUI.

Michael