Mail Queue monitor?

DAve dave.list at pixelhammer.com
Wed Aug 16 17:39:04 IST 2006

Rob Morin wrote:
> Thats a cool script, however i wanted to NOT use Nagios and such,  as i
> need to run this on a remote machine, as Nagios uses my mailserver to
> send email, if mail is backed up i will not get the alert.... so i
> figure i have a secondary email server that i would run an ssh command
> and check the queue on the primary, if it does not respond or is high i
> would then email  to a pager on that remote machine that the queue is
> high...
>
> am i confusing anyone yet?
>
> :)

We had the same issue, only we didn't see it coming as you have so my
mail went down and I got the pages afterward ;^)

We now have Nagios set to email a notification normally, and send a page
to our third party paging service directly. So if the mail servers fail
to respond again, I'll get the page immediately and the notification
email after the fact. (Only because I don't have a seperate group for
email servers).

DAve

> Rob Morin
> Dido InterNet Inc.
> Montreal, Canada
> Http://www.dido.ca
> 514-990-4444
>

> Daniel Maher wrote:
>> If you've already got SNMP deployed, you can query it using any number
>> of open source network monitoring tools (such as Nagios or Big Brother).
>>
>> In order to obtain the result in the first place, though, you'll need
>> a script to generate a number that SNMP can report.  Consider the
>> attached script, in fact, which can check either the "hold" or
>> "incoming" queues, as you like.
>>

>> --
>>   _
>>  °v°  Daniel Maher
>> /(_)\ Administrateur Système Unix
>>  ^ ^  Unix System Administrator
>>
>> Sentio aliquos togatos contra me conspirare.

Veterans?