OT - Greylisting (was: Re: gOCR SpamAssassin plugin)

mikea mikea at mikea.ath.cx
Fri Aug 11 18:38:43 IST 2006

On Fri, Aug 11, 2006 at 09:09:58AM -0800, Kevin Miller wrote:
> Michael Baird wrote:
>
> > Greylisting decreases load immeasurably on a mailscanner system, the
> > cost of greylisting is much less then allowing the message to go
> > through the mailscanner sytem. I deployed it several months ago, it
> > really is a good tool, and I've had very few complaints (10000 users).
>
> I just use Sendmails greet pause which is 10 seconds to set up and works
> a treat - does greylisting add significant control or improvement over
> that?  Anybody using them in tandom or is one or the other to be
> preferred?

I use both.

Greet-pause is set to 15 seconds, and catches an _awful_ lot of them:
Date    Count of greet-pause violations
710		133315
711     101527
712     88888
713     75372
714     59143
715     51436
716     46033
717     62931
718     76228
719     75158
720     63901
721     58222
722     47463
723     32425
724     52248
725     51581
726     55579
727     52790
728     48447
729     33630
730     31434
731     50976
801     61121
802     53625
803     120052
804     44719
805     34369
806     40633
807     55260
808     43413
809     44840
810     47917

Many of these are same-IP woodpeckers. I'll look at a way to display
the actual number of unique IP addresses that violated greet-pause per
day.

Greylisting catches a lot more: the count of mails that actually got
to MailScanner went down big-time when I turned greylisting on.
--
Mike Andrews, W5EGO
mikea at mikea.ath.cx
Tired old sysadmin