Installation issue

Chris Green chrisgreen at hotmail.com
Thu Aug 10 04:32:03 IST 2006

Robert Isaac wrote:
>During installation of MailScanner 4.55 on my ProLiant DL360 G3 with
>RHESL-4, Sendmail 8.13.1, Perl 5.8.5 I got this:
>
>*** You are using a perl configured with threading enabled.
>*** You should be aware that using multiple threads is
>*** not recommended for production environments.
>
>What does this mean please, is there a problem?

There is an in-depth article explaining threading here:

http://www.xav.com/perl/lib/Pod/perlthrtut.html

Essentially, threading is an experimental option that is switched on at
compile-time. This means that if you are using an RPM distribution or
equivalent you will not have the opportunity to choose whether to have
threading enabled or not, the package author will have made that decision
for you.

Is there a problem? So far for me, No, but I'm sure someone else on this
list might be able to enlighten us. My guess is that problems associated
with threading are mainly due to logic errors in programs that use the
threading feature, causing deadlocks and the like. Emphasis on the word
'guess' there....

Chris