Envelope-To and Bcc... heading OT...

Jim Holland mailscanner at mango.zw
Mon Aug 7 10:15:15 IST 2006

On Mon, 7 Aug 2006, Stef Morrell wrote:

> > BG Mahesh wrote:
> >> I somehow need sendmail to add another line like X-Rcpt-To which has
> >> just ONE email id and our other email server [mdaemon] that downloads
> >> the emails from a common pop account will use that field to deliver
> >> the email. Currently Mdaemon is getting totally confused on whom to
> >> deliver the email without this line :-(
> >
> > There is no way of telling which recipient is more important
> > than any other recipient. They are just a list. I can't help
> > your totally broken software, sorry.
>
> mdaemon isn't totally broken ;) at least it doesn't destroy headers like
> some *cough* exchange *cough* mailservers do.
>
> What's wrong with having the sendmail server deliver via SMTP to the
> mdaemon server? Mdaemon tries all kinds of ways to be clever at parsing
> email from a collective POP box to deduce the correct recipient, but is
> always going to be hindered by the intrisic brokenness of the method. It
> deals with SMTP perfectly well, however.

As you say, the concept of sending mail for various recipients to a
collective POP account is by definition going to cause problems.

A possible solution would be to look at the options for splitting the
original message into separate messages for each recipient.  Here is a
reference for doing this with sendmail:

	http://www.sng.ecs.soton.ac.uk/mailscanner/serve/cache/169.html

Regards

Jim Holland
System Administrator
MANGO - Zimbabwe's non-profit e-mail service