Retreiving attachments

Jim Holland mailscanner at mango.zw
Sat Aug 5 10:17:27 IST 2006

On Fri, 4 Aug 2006, Golden, James wrote:

> I've have been wasting my whole day trying to figure out how to do this.
> Can anyone could help besides telling me to install Mailwatch (because
> it's not an option right now).
>
> I have messages that are being snagged by MailScanner because the
> attachment is too large.  When I go to the directory the attachment is
> in binary in the message.
>
> I tried using a sendmail -t < message, but of course it gets snagged
> again by MS.  Is there an option I'm missing to store the attachments
> seperatly from the message, is there a way to send this on without it
> bieng scanned?  Is there a way to get the attachement out of the
> message?
>
> I need help soon as this is becoming a large issue today (about 6 end
> users) and my boss is hearing about it!

I just use the following command:

	sendmail -i -Am user at domain < message

as that will bypass MailScanner.  Using -t may send the message to
unwanted recipients, so I prefer to be explicit with the recipient
address.  The -i is just a precaution in case the message contains a
single line with only a dot in it, which would otherwise be interpreted as
the end of the message.

For convenience I have the following alias in .bashrc:

	alias send='/usr/sbin/sendmail -i -Am'

so I can just enter the command as:

	send user at domain < message

Regards

Jim Holland
System Administrator
MANGO - Zimbabwe's non-profit e-mail service