ClamAV on FreeBSD - ports or Perl module?

Koopmann, Jan-Peter Jan-Peter.Koopmann at seceidos.de
Thu Aug 3 07:10:20 IST 2006

On Wednesday, August 02, 2006 11:06 PM Drew Marshall wrote:

Drew, thanks for the wake-up call off-list. :-)

>>> I would always say go with the ports.

Yes. You should do that with every software available as a port.

>>> They are up dated pretty
>>> regularly so never far behind the source any way.

Well in case of MailScanner: Mea culpa once again. I will try to produce an up-to-date version today.

>> http://www.freshports.org/mail/p5-Mail-ClamAV/
>>
>> See entry on 23 Feb 2004

So long ago. Let me search my memory. :-) At that time the module required threaded perl to work. I am not sure whether or not this was a perl or a clamav requirement. Recompiling perl with threaded support helped but personally gave me other problems so I always went for the command-line version. If others say it works with the non-threaded version now things might have changed. I will give it a try (maybe this afternoon). Are you "only" getting the warning in pkg-message? If so I would guess it is just an outdated warning.

Kind regards,
  JP