Inline image havoc

DAve dave.list at pixelhammer.com
Thu Aug 3 03:09:02 IST 2006

Michael Masse wrote:
> I apologize because this is more of a SA related question, but I was
> curious if anyone running a busy Mailscanner is also running any of the
> various SA pluggins that do OCR checking to defeat inline image spam?
> Do they work?    How much extra load on the server have you noticed?
> Is there any pluggin that seems better overall?   Seems as of late, the
> only spam that ever gets through is the inline image stuff and just
> recently we are getting bombarded with the junk....     It's bad enough
> that pine looks like a good option again.....
>

> Mike

We just recently moved our SA from the mail toasters running spamc to
using MailScanner. It's much better btw, adding full SA to MailScanner
was a negliable resource increase.

Doing so I again tried bayes, not having much luck with it in previous
years. Feeding bayes the image spams that got through, and using SARE
stock rules, have made my image spams decrease a large amount.

There is a large debate going whether the resources needed for checking
images will be worth the trouble. Personally I'm waiting until someone
has a plugin that gets mentioned as a 'must have' like SURBL or URIBL
before I bother with it.

Of course everyones spam is different, might not work for you.

DAve

Veterans?