ClamAV on FreeBSD - ports or Perl module?

Drew Marshall drew at themarshalls.co.uk
Wed Aug 2 19:30:51 IST 2006

On 2 Aug 2006, at 17:42, TCIS List Acct wrote:

> David Jacobson wrote:
>> Hi Mike,
>> I'd recommend installing ClamAV from source and getting the module
>> via
>> CPAN.
>> The module is a lot faster and if you have auto in your Virus
>> Scanners
>> function it will pick up the module as the preferred scanneer.
>> Kind Regards,
>> David
>
> I installed  ClamAV from ports and then tried to install
> Mail::ClamAV from CPAN, but it failed due to the default Perl 5.8.8
> install on FreeBSD not being built with threads.  So, I then tried
> to build from ports ( /usr/ports/mail/p5-Mail-ClamAV) and it built,
> but gave a warning at the end saying my Perl needed to be built
> with threading, so looks like there is no way around that
> requirement.  Anyone know how stable Perl 5.8.8 on FreeBSD 6.1 is
> with threading enabled?

I would always say go with the ports. They are up dated pretty
regularly so never far behind the source any way.

I am also running the ClamAV Perl module on Perl 5.8.8 with out
threading (Admittedly in FreeBSD 6.0) and have no issues at all. I
would think you should be fine as you are although it's worth
monitoring MailScanner and chuck a few Eicar test viruses through to
make sure Clam (Via it's module) is being used, just to be sure.

Drew

been scanned for viruses and dangerous
www.themarshalls.co.uk/policy