A quick and easy performance improvement

Richard Lynch rich at mail.wvnet.edu
Wed Aug 2 00:03:10 IST 2006

What about using tmpfs instead of a ramdisk for bayes's DB?  The problem
I have with a ramdisk is that you're giving up real memory for it.  In
my case that would be about 1.5GB.  That's a lot to give up.  With tmpfs
it would be in virtual memory and grow or shrink as needed (using the
swap file).  That wouldn't be as good as a ramdisk in term of
performance but it would be more flexible.  Has anyone done that?  How
did it work out?

~rich