Feature Request: MailScannerWebBug

Julian Field MailScanner at ecs.soton.ac.uk
Thu Apr 27 15:37:05 IST 2006

Okay, I've written this for you. There is a new configuration option
"Allowed Web Bug Filenames" which is a space or comma-separated list
of filenames or bits of filenames. If the filename in the web bug
location (just the filename, not any directories or host names)
matches the list of allowed web bug filenames, then it is ignored.

A suitable setting might be
Allowed Web Bug Filenames = spacer pixel.gif pixel.png

On 27 Apr 2006, at 13:32, Kai Schaetzl wrote:

> I noticed that I get lots of errors "File does not exist:
> /squirrelmail-1.4.0/src/MailScannerWebBug" and some such when
> people read
> mail via webmail. The term "MailScannerWebBug" is obviously what gets
> replaced for webbugs. I would like to have this configurable. Not sure
> exactly, how. Maybe:
> - remove the tag at all
> - leave the source blank or with #
> - replace with a URL
>
> Also, the detection seems to be a bit "dumb". It triggers on every
> 0 or 1
> pixel gif, no matter if it's a webbug or not. F.i. it triggers on:
> http://anon.doubleclick.edgesuite.net/anon.dleclick/cms/EMEA/Palm/
> 295666/N
> ew/magic.gif
> http://www.visualit.co.uk:81/OT000cGFsbUBhbmFlc3RoZXNpZS5uZXQA.GIF
> http://ems6.net/r/?E=XTC-V1N-FQU8O-DD-GU8KF-2
> http://www.enews.nu/cp/0406-2/images/spacer.gif
> http://www.paypal.com/images/pixel.gif
>
> The last two clearly are not web bugs, but spacer.gifs. So, if
> someone is
> reading these in html the layout may be garbled. A check might be
> advisable here (not for 0 pixel images, of course). Not sure, what to
> check, though. Maybe always leave alone things like "pixel" and
> "spacer"?
> (= have a positive list) The identification strings vary from
> digits to
> letters and if they are mostly letters I don't see a way to
> distinguish
> them from normal names.
>
> -
>
> Kai