MailScanner Future (aka money)

Scott Silva ssilva at sgvwater.com
Thu Apr 20 23:43:48 IST 2006

Jeff A. Earickson spake the following on 4/20/2006 1:50 PM:
> On Thu, 20 Apr 2006, Julian Field wrote:
>
>> By the way the only merchandise I make money from is the book.
>> Everything else is sold at cost price (except for $1 profit per item).
>> But keep buying the other stuff as well, it makes very good walking
>> advertising for me. If you want to donate money by buying something
>> (useful in companies) then just buy the book. Or even maybe a few copies
>> so that everyone involved with managing your email system has their own
>> copy.
>>
>> I can always create a pretty printed CD with the latest version on it so
>> that you have something physical delivered if you would like to donate a
>> higher figure, I'm registered for tax purposes in the USA as well as the
>> UK and have access to a bank account in both countries.
>
> Ahah!  Now we are getting somewhere...  I have no particular interest
> in buying a book (even though I did) because we are just cutting down
> trees, cluttering my bookshelf, and I won't read it that much anyway.
> The list and webpage is more up-to-date.
>
> Much better is the idea of buying a CD with a pretty label on it.  You
> can charge us more because it is "software", we get a deliverable item
> that the business guys understand, and I can put in my safe for emergencies
> to make my boss happy.  Your profit margin for donations goes up.
>
> I remember that when I made my feeble donation long ago, I had to jump
> thru hoops with the business guys to do it.  Remember how it was done?
> Credit card?  The people here always want to do Purchase Orders; you
> probably can't do that.  Some mechanism (other than Paypal) that
> business guys understand would be a good addition to your webpage.
>
> Jeff Earickson
> Colby College
I second that! My Company would rather pay higher prices to "net 30" vendors
than have anything to do with credit cards. We stopped doing business with
Dell because they dropped our net 30 P.O. account because of low quantity
purchases. I will buy the book soon, but I will have to get it on my own and
hope that the company will reimburse me. If not, Julian still deserves the
support. I try to make up for it by helping out on the list when I can.

--

MailScanner is like deodorant...
You hope everybody uses it, and