MailScanner Future (aka money)

Jeff A. Earickson jaearick at colby.edu
Thu Apr 20 21:50:30 IST 2006

On Thu, 20 Apr 2006, Julian Field wrote:

> By the way the only merchandise I make money from is the book.
> Everything else is sold at cost price (except for $1 profit per item).
> But keep buying the other stuff as well, it makes very good walking
> advertising for me. If you want to donate money by buying something
> (useful in companies) then just buy the book. Or even maybe a few copies
> so that everyone involved with managing your email system has their own
> copy.
>
> I can always create a pretty printed CD with the latest version on it so
> that you have something physical delivered if you would like to donate a
> higher figure, I'm registered for tax purposes in the USA as well as the
> UK and have access to a bank account in both countries.

Ahah!  Now we are getting somewhere...  I have no particular interest
in buying a book (even though I did) because we are just cutting down
trees, cluttering my bookshelf, and I won't read it that much anyway.
The list and webpage is more up-to-date.

Much better is the idea of buying a CD with a pretty label on it.  You
can charge us more because it is "software", we get a deliverable item
that the business guys understand, and I can put in my safe for emergencies
to make my boss happy.  Your profit margin for donations goes up.

I remember that when I made my feeble donation long ago, I had to jump
thru hoops with the business guys to do it.  Remember how it was done?
Credit card?  The people here always want to do Purchase Orders; you
probably can't do that.  Some mechanism (other than Paypal) that
business guys understand would be a good addition to your webpage.

Jeff Earickson
Colby College