greylisting?

Res res at ausics.net
Wed Apr 19 08:39:31 IST 2006

Hi,

On Tue, 18 Apr 2006, Kai Schaetzl wrote:

> Res wrote on Mon, 17 Apr 2006 13:36:22 +1000 (EST):
>
>> Since enforcing PTR checks, like I said  90% of the crap is now rejected
>
> By simply checking if a PTR record exists? You are then getting spam from
> weird locations ;-) All big German providers have PTR for their dynamic IP
> space and what I get from the big US providers like charter, comcast, shaw
> and such, they all have PTR. Actually that's a good thing since I can
> block them all by domain instead of collecting their IP ranges :-)

hehehe yes it is a good thing

comcast.net	550	#$#@ off spamming scum
beats having 500 lines of  various IP's im bound to miss many of anyway :)

> I could reject maybe 10% by a "need PTR" policy - if I'm lucky.

thats still 10% less spam :)

I find the vast majority of no ptr's (and spam) comes from asia

we'd reject as much mail in one day from china as we would all of comcast
shaw roadrunner and aol combined, and as months go by it gets worse, where
as only 12 months ago I outright entirely blocked shaw and roadrunner and
comcast because the spam from them in one day was more than asia gave me
in a month, now the tide has turned, do not get much from Europe or au/nz.

--
Cheers
Res