greylisting?

Matt Hampton matt at coders.co.uk
Sat Apr 15 10:04:48 IST 2006

Res wrote:

>> is greylisting? Does it add extra load to the server or anything?

Before going as far as greylisting can I suggest that you try
greet_pause (it's a sendmail feature).

I have found that the vast majority of the mail that was being rejected
by greylisting was also getting caught by greet_pause.

You can run both together, as I did, but I found that the added value
given by greylisting was not significant enough for the overhead (or the
complaints from users for the delay).

As a side note - with greylisting turned on I was getting between 70 and
80 percent reduction in spam/viruses.  With greet_pause I am getting 60-75%.

My suggestion would be to try greet_pause first and then use
grey-listing if you don't find the reduction enough.

matt`