greylisting?

Res res at ausics.net
Sat Apr 15 06:53:34 IST 2006

Chris,

On Fri, 14 Apr 2006, Chris Yuzik wrote:

> From a bit of reading I'm doing, this may be some implementation of
> greylisting. That said, I'm new to the concept of greylisting but it seems to
> make some sense. We're using Sendmail on our server; how easy and effective

There are milters around that do it. Dont have a URL because we opted to
not greylist.

> is greylisting? Does it add extra load to the server or anything?

It comes down to how busy your servers are, and how many you might have in
the farm. if you run a decent use mail server, i'd forget it. do you
rteally want a queue that banks up for tens of thousands because it will
not send on for 10 mnis or whatever.

I've heard it delaying local sent mail up to 4 hours on a few decent sized
ISP's, using it with varying MTA,s sendmail, qmail and postfix, all were
as useless as the next with greylisting with their use loads, hence none
of them use it nemore :)

But if you get 100 messages a day, I guess it wouldnt make much differnce
if you got mail now or in another 10 mins or so.

Also if you run mailing lsits  forget it, youll have so many complaints
u'll regret even knowing what greylisting was

--
Cheers
Res

--
This message has been scanned for viruses and suspect
content by MailScanner, if detected and confirmed as