Slighty OT: milter-ahead quirket

Matt Hampton matt at coders.co.uk
Thu Apr 13 11:54:02 IST 2006

Morning

Slightly off topic but I hope someone has come across this before:

I am hosting domain.com for a colleague which is forwarded to an
exchange server via mailertable entries.

They have added domain.co.uk but are unable to host this on the exchange
server.  I have configured my system to accept domain.co.uk and it is
re-written (via domaintable) from user at domain.co.uk to user at domain.com.

The issue I have is this:

I have domain.com and domain.co.uk pointing to number of servers via a
MX record pointing to a A record with multiple IP's.

Email comes in to user at domain.co.uk to ServerA.  ServerA accepts the
mail scans it and then does an MX lookup for domain.com.

This could be 1 of a number of servers - if it resolves it self then you
get the MX points back to self.  If it goes to another server then it is
re-scanned and then delivered.

There are obviously issues with this:
     1 in X messages is getting dropped.
     Messages are getting double scanned
     If user at domain.co.uk doesn't exist then I get stuck with sending
          delivery failure messages ahhhhhhhhhhh

So to solve it I thought I would add the same mailertable entry pointing
to the exchange server.  The exchange server is rejecting the mail due
to it not accepting domain.co.uk address and therefore milter-ahead is
rejecting them at connection level.

Any ideas on the best way to resolve this.  Unfortunately the exchange
server can't be modified as this is being hosted as a favour....

matt