Multiple Postfix smtp instances

Jan Brinkmann lucky at the-luckyduck.de
Wed Apr 12 21:57:49 IST 2006

Hi,

is it possible to have multiple smtpd instances of postfix running on
different IPs where one instance is simple running to do SASL based
mail relaying (without mailscanner) and the other one can act as the
MX for virtual domains? On servers where I use amavis, it's possible
to specify multiple smtpd lines where one has the content_filter set
to an empty string. I thought it would also be possible to do this
with header_checks, but it doesnt work as expected:

1.2.3.4:smtp      inet  n       -       n       -       -    smtpd
  -o header_checks=
1.2.3.5:smtp      inet  n       -       n       -	-    smtpd

The second instance (the one listening on 1.2.3.5) would be the one
where the mails are set to a HOLD state to enable mailscanner. The
other one would be the one which is used to relay mails for sasl
authenticated users. If I try to do it this way, all mails get
filtered by mailscanner. If I go the other way, with header_checks
in main.cf set to an empty string and header_checks defined in the
master.cf no mails get scanned at all:

1.2.3.4:smtp      inet  n       -       n       -       -    smtpd
  -o header_checks=regexp:/etc/postfix/mailscanner_hold
1.2.3.5:smtp      inet  n       -       n       -       -    smtpd

Any ideas if this can be done, and which way would be correct?

--
Jan Brinkmann
http://the-luckyduck.de