Question about from address

Glenn Steen glenn.steen at gmail.com
Thu Apr 6 18:40:46 IST 2006

On 06/04/06, Kai Schaetzl <maillists at conactive.com> wrote:
> Jim Dickenson wrote on Thu, 06 Apr 2006 08:08:31 -0700:
>
> > And I still do not understand why it shows this address and not the address
> > that is shown in my sendmail list as being the sender:
>
> I don't either. Can you post the header of the message? Is it for sure that
> what sendmail shows in the log *is* the envelope-from? I mean it usually is,
> but maybe your sendmail or sendmail.cf is "special"?
>
> Kai

I think Jims telnet experiments will tell us this... One other
possibility, albeit remote (since I do beleive that Jules "sanitizes"
the headers, so that there can only be one X-MailScanner-From: ...),
would be if there is more than one MailScanner involved, thoroughly
confusing matters.

Or perhaps the customer is too lazy to actually get at the headers,
and just "invent" them from what they "think they should be".....:-)

Jim, you should really demand that the customer provide at least one
"problem message" _as verbatim as possible_. Would be a shame to waste
time on something that turns out to be a red herrirng:-):-).

--
-- Glenn