A way to give local mail priority?

Brett Charbeneau brett at wrl.org
Thu Apr 6 15:25:21 IST 2006

 	I'd be grateful for any suggestions anyone can offer!

SPECIFICS:
Debian 3.1, kernel 2.6.8,
Sendmail 8.13.4, MailScanner 4.41.3-2, SpamAssassin 3.0.3-2 (deb packages)
Majordomo 1.94.5

Greetings,

 	I have MailScanner installed on a P4 3.2 GHz machine with 2 GB of RAM.
 	With MailScanner running SpamAssassin rules *and* RBL checks my
Majordomo mail (generated and delivered locally) takes as long as an hour to
end up in users' inboxes.
 	It appears that my local mail gets stuck in the queue with the SPAM and
the machine just has to chew through it all FIFO and my staff need to have
departmental mail make it through in 10 minutes or less if at all possible.
 	When I switch off SpamAssassin and just do RBL checks things work
reasonably quick, but obviously a lot more SPAM gets through.
 	I have

From:          *@wrl.org       yes

 	in my "Is Definitely Not Spam" file, but again, with SA rules switched on
and lots of email piling in, the queue processing drops to a crawl.
 	I know I need to expand my RAM (I *am* seeing a lot of swapping with SA
turned on) but even once I get 8 GB or so, I suspect these delays in Majordomo
mail this will continue.
 	Is there a way to give "priority" to local mail so that MailScanner not
only keeps its hands off but Sendmail is told to deliver immediately? Or should
I run Sendmail with two queues?

Brett Charbeneau
Network Administrator
Williamsburg Regional Library