Bad Content Checks

Julian Field MailScanner at ecs.soton.ac.uk
Mon Apr 3 21:24:14 IST 2006

Kai Schaetzl wrote:
> Alex Neuman van der Hans wrote on Mon, 03 Apr 2006 09:37:39 -0500:
>

>> You can, if you put it before the double extension rule. Depending on
>> the clients' wishes, I either disable it altogether (the double
>> extension rule) or I add allow rules at the top for trusted filetypes
>> (my preferred choice). I think you can override it with another setting
>> introduced a couple of versions ago.
>>

> Thanks for the answer.
> Some months ago Julian introduced simpler Allow Filenames = \.txt$ \.pdf$
> stuff which can either be used directly in MailScanner or with a ruleset.
> That's what I did now for txt and pdf. I added them like "\.txt$ \.pdf$"
> to the file and may add more. Can I also put them line after line in that
> file?

No, sorry, you can't.
> Additionally I also commented out this double extension rule.
>
> However, how am I supposed to release this stuff if necessary? If I
> release it it's immediately caught again by MS. The whitelist works only
> for spam.

You can put a ruleset on anything. If it passes "Allow Filenames" then
it skips the filename.rules.conf file. You can put a whitelist on any
configuration options you like, the whitelist for spam is just a trivial
example to get you started.

--
Julian Field

believed to be clean.