MailScanner on Mac OSX?

Julian Field MailScanner at ecs.soton.ac.uk
Mon Apr 3 08:55:21 IST 2006

On 2 Apr 2006, at 22:40, James Gray wrote:

> Hi All,
>
> I'm hoping I'm not about to "break new ground" :)  Has anyone got
> any reports
> on using MailScanner on Mac OSX (Intel)?  I'm simplifying my
> network at home
> with a Mac Mini (Core Duo thing) replacing 3 old tired PC's.

There are a few people (and I mean _very_ few) doing this, after a
guy at Sophos got it working on 10.3.

It's one of the projects I want to get onto, and may be able to put
in some time on it very soon.

There are those 2 packaging systems (Fink and the other one I can't
remember) which would provide an easy, though cumbersome, solution.

Would that be good enough for now?

What I really want is a system that uses launchd properly and at
least has a system preference for starting and stopping it.
Slimserver nearly does this, but in a pre-Tiger form, not using
launchd. I would much rather "do it properly" than hack something
together.

If anyone can point me in the right direction, such as an example
package that already does all this that I can plug into, that would
be fantastic.

But even working out how to program for launchd would be a start. The
OSX way of booting appears to be very complicated, involving reams of
XML.

Sorry that doesn't really answer your question, but....

> So far I've figured out that OSX is using Perl 5.8.6 and Postfix of
> some
> flavour.  Does anyone have any pre-installation validation tools or
> advice on
> what to expect?  I know OSX is BSD under the hood, but the directory
> structure is seriously weird for someone coming from a "pure" Linux/
> BSD/Unix
> background.
>
> BTW - where the hell does OSX keep it's cron jobs and services?
> I've got
> Apache+MySQL running on it but they both came with neato *.dmg
> packages....I'm a real OSX n00b I'm afraid :P  Unlike most n00b's
> though I'm
> happy to work with Julian to get the bugs sorted and possibly
> create a OSX
> "port" complete with dmg package etc....now THAT interests me!
>
> Thanks in advance.
>
> James
> --
> I've got a bad feeling about this.