Block null "from" in logs

Stephen Swaney steve.swaney at fsl.com
Fri Sep 30 14:43:16 IST 2005

I knew it was at least RFC 1123 but when you're a small IPS getting a
million + bounced messages a day from a vicious and intentional Joe job and
your business is at stake, I can understand why one might consider this
approach.

The actual approach we took was to quickly setup another gateway and point
all of the incoming email for the domain that was under attack at the new
gateway that used this modified sendmail file. The other hosted domains then
were then unaffected by the attack and the valid email to the domain under
attack was delivered pretty much on time.

But your point is very valid. DO NOT DO THIS unless this unless you have no
other choice.

Steve

Stephen Swaney
Fort Systems Ltd.