A sudden increase in drug spam emails

Anthony Peacock a.peacock at CHIME.UCL.AC.UK
Tue Sep 27 10:00:15 IST 2005

Hi,

> Anthony Peacock wrote:
> > Hi,

> >>With more spam from uk/it/ar/de, i now use the following as
> >>suggested earlier on this list.
> >>
> >>uri  GEO_CHECK  /^http:\/\/[a-z0-9-]{1,30}\.geocities\.com\b/i
> >>
> >>You could also check out http://antispam.imp.ch/rules/asciispam.cf
> >
> > I could, but these mails are now being caught more by Bayes and
> > URIBLs that this rule doesn't really make much difference now.  It
> > worked great while Bayes and the BLs caught up, but doesn't make
> > much impact now.
> >

> Apologies, i meant to communicate this to the OP.

No apologies necessary.  It is useful to explore the various
flavours, I think the best advice for the OP (which others have given
as well) is to check out the SpamAssassin users list archive, as this
has all the rules and discussions about the pros and cons for them.

The basic rule that I used worked well for my site, until Bayes and
URIBLs caught up.  and we didn't get any of the non-uk variety
getting through, so I didn't 'upgrade' my version of the rule.  In
fact I suspect I could stop using it now and not notice any drop in
quality of filtering.

--
Anthony Peacock
"Whoever said nothing is impossible never tried slamming a