Scanning Order

Julian Field MailScanner at ecs.soton.ac.uk
Mon Sep 19 11:41:27 IST 2005

Most of your mail (say 75%) is spam. Relatively, very little of it
(say 5%) is a virus.
So if you do spam checks first, then delete all the spam, you don't
need to do anything further with 75% of your incoming mail. So the
overhead of all further processing of 75% of your mail never happens.
That includes all the expensive checks like the phishing net, as well
as the straight virus scanning.

On 18 Sep 2005, at 04:16, Chris Russell wrote:

> Hi All,
>
>   This is more than likely a question for Julian but I`ll throw it
> open.
>
>   Is there a specific reason MailScanner does MCP/Spam checks
> before AV ?
>
>   Ok, Reasoning:
>
>     I was looking into our systems this evening, and from our
> stats, Pretty much 100% of our virus infected email is simply
> deleted. For the most part theres very little reason to actually
> look at these messages as they are often the result of mass-mailing
> virus's etc.
>
>     With this in mind, would it be more efficient to virus scan the
> email first ? This would cut out spam/mcp scanning for infected
> messages (dependant on the action), and cut down on the number of
> messages required to be spam/MCP scanned, which seems to take the
> longest time/ add the most significant load to the process.
>
>     I've looked into /usr/sbin/MailScanner and thanks to Julian's
> coding, it doesn't look too difficult to change (** highly
> preliminary findings here!), so does anyone have any thoughts on
> whether AV->MCP/SPAM may be a better approach to take ?
>
> Cheers,
>
> Chris

Julian Field