Scanning Order

Chris Russell Chris.Russell at KNOWLEDGEIT.CO.UK
Sun Sep 18 04:16:14 IST 2005

Hi All,

  This is more than likely a question for Julian but I`ll throw it open.

  Is there a specific reason MailScanner does MCP/Spam checks before AV ?

  Ok, Reasoning:

    I was looking into our systems this evening, and from our stats, Pretty much 100% of our virus infected email is simply deleted. For the most part theres very little reason to actually look at these messages as they are often the result of mass-mailing virus's etc.

    With this in mind, would it be more efficient to virus scan the email first ? This would cut out spam/mcp scanning for infected messages (dependant on the action), and cut down on the number of messages required to be spam/MCP scanned, which seems to take the longest time/ add the most significant load to the process.

    I've looked into /usr/sbin/MailScanner and thanks to Julian's coding, it doesn't look too difficult to change (** highly preliminary findings here!), so does anyone have any thoughts on whether AV->MCP/SPAM may be a better approach to take ?

Cheers,

Chris