Some questions while I plan my redeployment/reinstall

Chris W. Parker cparker at SWATGEAR.COM
Thu Sep 8 22:10:39 IST 2005

Scott Silva <mailto:ssilva at SGVWATER.COM>
    on Thursday, September 08, 2005 1:01 PM said:

>> I'm planning to do a complete reinstall using the latest software
>> that make up a good MailScanner box. My Linux distro will be FC4 and
>> my MTA will be sendmail.
>
> Maybe a RHEL clone like Whitebox or CentOS would be more appropriate

I don't know enough about RHEL (and it's clones) to know why this might
be a good idea. Could you tell me a little more please?

> Might be tight on ram if you want to do spam scanning, virus scanning,
> etc... but it might do with a minimum of children in MailScanner.
> It would depend on the processor and i/o speeds.

I see.

MSMRTG says that the server has an average of 7% CPU Utilization (for
the past year with very consistent usage throughout) and load average is
only an average of 0.1 (for the year as well).

Here's the output from free:

             total    used    free  shared  buffers  cached
Mem:        255384  220580   34804       0    58668   75688
-/+ buffers/cache:   86224  169160
Swap:       264560   15968  248592

Does this info help indicate at all what I might be able to handle in
the future?

>> 2. Currently I use MailScanner-MRTG to get an idea of what's
>> happening with my box. Is MailWatch a complete replacement for
>> MSMRTG or should I install both? And what about Vispan, how does
>> that compare?
>
> I run all of them. They have different uses and give different info.

Would you mind explaining a little about what those differences are?

> If you could find some memory in a donor machine or something, it
> might make things better.

I'll see what I can do. I might have some laying around.

> On my current system, log rotation gives the
> biggest spike in activity.

Same with me.

Thanks,
Chris.