MailScanner not sending mail to /var/spool/mqueue

lester lasad llasad1 at YAHOO.COM
Thu Sep 8 20:21:36 IST 2005

--- Julian Field <MailScanner at ECS.SOTON.AC.UK> wrote:

> Scott Silva wrote:
>
> >lester lasad spake the following on 9/8/2005 10:43
> AM:
> >

> >>MailScanner version 4.41.3
> >>Fedora Core 2
> >>spamassassin 3.0.3
> >>
> >>I have had this problem several times in the past.
>
> >>Mail is being accepted by my MS server but it is
> not
> >>transferring email from /var/spool/mqueue.in to
> >>/var/spool/mqueue.  This causes a major backup on
> my
> >>mail system.  I have bounced the server several
> times
> >>and stopped and started MS but the problem still
> >>exists.  Based off of past experience it will
> probably
> >>start working on it's own pretty soon but this has
> >>been an issue for the past 10 hours.  I am forced
> >>move the queued messages from /var/spool/mqueue.in
> >>/var/spool/mqueue which also lets all the spam
> thru
> >>because the spam checks are not being done.
> >>
> >>Does anyone have any insight as to why this
> happens.
> >>MS is a great product but I can't keep allowing
> this
> >>to happen from time to time.  I've got over 3000
> users
> >>and  it can get pretty nasty around here when this
> >>problem occurs.  Thanks to anyone that may be able
> >>provide some insight.
> >>
> >>I'm crunching time right now... so if anyone needs
> >>additional info please let me know and I will
> provide
> >>it.
> >>

> >Which MTA? Sendmail? Postfix? Exim? ...?
> >If you just move the oldest file in mqueue.in will
> it start up?
> >Any clues in the log?
> >

> And what happens if you try running MailScanner in
> Debug mode?
> Instructions on how to do that are in the wiki at
> wiki.mailscanner.info.
> You basically stop it, set "Debug = yes" in
> MailScanner.conf and then
> run "check_MailScanner". Does it print any error
> messages at all? If so,
> what? (Don't worry about EOCD Signature errors,
> that's harmless rubbish
> from the zip extractor).

I put MS in debug mode and ran check_MailScanner.
This is all I received.  I stopped it twice (hence the
check_MailScanner listed 3 times below) and tried
check_MailScanner again but it still stops at the same
spot.  Thanks for the help

"/etc/MailScanner/MailScanner.conf" 1830L, 81899C
written
[root at pcalaklx01 root]# check_MailScanner
Starting MailScanner...
In Debugging mode, not forking...
SA bayes lock is /root/.spamassassin/bayes.lock
Bayes lock is at /root/.spamassassin/bayes.lock