MailScanner not sending mail to /var/spool/mqueue

Joost Waversveld joost at WAVERSVELD.NL
Thu Sep 8 19:05:34 IST 2005

> MailScanner version 4.41.3
> Fedora Core 2
> spamassassin 3.0.3
>
> I have had this problem several times in the past.
> Mail is being accepted by my MS server but it is not
> transferring email from /var/spool/mqueue.in to
> /var/spool/mqueue.  This causes a major backup on my
> mail system.  I have bounced the server several times
> and stopped and started MS but the problem still
> exists.  Based off of past experience it will probably
> start working on it's own pretty soon but this has
> been an issue for the past 10 hours.  I am forced to
> move the queued messages from /var/spool/mqueue.in to
> /var/spool/mqueue which also lets all the spam thru
> because the spam checks are not being done.
>
> Does anyone have any insight as to why this happens.
> MS is a great product but I can't keep allowing this
> to happen from time to time.  I've got over 3000 users
> and  it can get pretty nasty around here when this
> problem occurs.  Thanks to anyone that may be able to
> provide some insight.
>
> I'm crunching time right now... so if anyone needs
> additional info please let me know and I will provide
> it.

Which version of sendmail do you use?? For sendmail 8.13.x and later
you need to
change the Locking Type to POSIX. See the following part in MailScanner.conf:

-----
# How to lock spool files.
# Don't set this unless you *know* you need to.
# For sendmail, it defaults to "flock".
# For sendmail 8.13 onwards, you will probably need to change it to posix.
# For Exim, it defaults to "posix".
# No other type is implemented.
Lock Type = posix
-----