Disaster recovery assistance

Julian Field MailScanner at ecs.soton.ac.uk
Sun Sep 4 12:18:35 IST 2005

Mike Kercher wrote:

>MailScanner mailing list <> scribbled on Saturday, September 03, 2005 12:18
>PM:
>

>>>Julian,
>>>
>>>My Paypal address is SS2061 at CamaroSS.net  My kids are going through
>>>their rooms as we speak collecting clothes and toys to take to a
>>>shelter in a little while.  We are also going to take a couple of
>>>laptops with us to let people there send email to anyone
>>>

>>they wish just
>>

>>>to let someone know they are alive and well.
>>>
>>>We will collect any funds via Paypal for as long as we can.  On
>>>Tuesday, when schools are open again (holiday weekend here), we will
>>>take the monies to the school for them to disburse as they see fit.
>>>
>>>I thank you for your support and thank you on behalf of the
>>>

>>beneficiaries.
>>

>>You should just have got an email to that address from
>>Paypal. Let me know if there are any problems completing the
>>transaction.
>>
>>- --
>>Julian Field
>>

>For those making donations through me, we have contacted the schools here
>and they will allow us to specify how we would like a donation distributed.
>
>We can specify an amount we wish to be used for food, clothing, school
>supplies, backpacks, etc.
>
>If you make a donation and wish to specify how it is used, please note that
>in your Paypal payment.
>
>Julian, your EXTREMELY generous donation will go a long way in all needed
>areas.  I hesitate to disclose the amount in this forum.

Continue to hesitate :-) It's great to be able to put my book profit to
a very good use.

I would rather it went mostly towards clothing and things like that
which are going to last a while. These kids are going to need long-term
help and I would much rather fund that. With a bit of practice people
can eat very cheaply, but they can't cut much off the budget for
clothes, backpacks, or things for school. It is vital their education is
impacted as little as possible, else you run the risk of having an
entire generation in the area who are not properly educated because of
what has happened. That has a very long-term impact, and must be avoided.

- --
Julian Field