Bounce Rules

Scott Silva ssilva at SGVWATER.COM
Thu Oct 27 00:02:22 IST 2005

Dave Shariff Yadallee - System Administrator a.k.a. The Root of the
Problem spake the following on 10/26/2005 3:21 PM:
> I did order the book and I do recommend it.
>
> Question, for bounce rules, ho do I bounce spam > a score of 7.5 ?

I am sure that the book says, as do many other places, please do not
bounce spam. You will not bother the spammers, but will succeed in
annoying many other mail administrators around the world.
What is the purpose for bouncing spam? The spammers already know it is
spam, you're informing them of such will not change their opinions in
the matter. I just whitelist content that my users ask to be
whitelisted, and only to that user. The only sitewide whitelists here
are an industry specific newsletter that half of the company gets, and
some occasional forwards from a lobbyist my company works with.

And if you are getting false positives, you need to play with the score
levels and maybe add some rules.

I haven't had one false hit for high scoring spam in over a year. They
usually fall in the 3 to 7 point range, and get sent to the users as an
attachment. They can bug me to whitelist them if they want them.

If it is slow, I look for obvious breaches and see what I can do with them.

--

| MailScanner; The best |___________ \N1____====== )-+
| protection on the net!|                   ~~~|/~~  |