How to debug IPBlock?

Jeff A. Earickson jaearick at COLBY.EDU
Wed Oct 26 23:24:05 IST 2005

On Wed, 26 Oct 2005, Julian Field wrote:

> Date: Wed, 26 Oct 2005 18:11:18 +0100
> From: Julian Field <MailScanner at ECS.SOTON.AC.UK>
> To: MAILSCANNER at JISCMAIL.AC.UK
> Subject: Re: How to debug IPBlock?

> You are running an old version of IP Block. The current code doesn't
> contain "for writing" except for in a commented out chunk of code.

I *am* running a current version, including the cronjob at the end.
I checked.  I had uncommented that code in an earlier debug attempt.

> As for debugging it, replace "#print STDERR" with "print STDERR" in the
> code to re-enable all the debug output. That should help you quite a lot.

Bingo!  This revealed a typo that I had recently introduced to IPBlock.conf,
see attached debug output.  I had defined AFRINIC as
     410.0.0/8  30
instead of
     41.0.0.0/8  30
Oops.  As the author Net-CIDR says, "garbage in, garbage out".
Any way to program around my typing ability?  :)

> As for logging the speed, check out the "Log Speed" MailScanner.conf
> setting.

I tried that, too much detail.  I would just like the total time to
process a batch of messages noted in the Delivered line.

Jeff Earickson
Colby College