Virii detection very low

Scott Silva ssilva at SGVWATER.COM
Wed Oct 26 20:38:24 IST 2005

Julian Field spake the following on 10/26/2005 10:54 AM:

> What exactly is the licensing situation for Bitdefender?
> Is it really free as in beer for all situations? Or when do you have to
> pay for it?
> How do Bitdefender make any profit? (assuming it's not free-as-in-speech)

It seems to be two versions version back, and only a commandline client.
But it still seems to be updated regularly, as per this last update message;
	Update time: Wed Oct 26 21:40:20 2005
	Signature number: 229539
	Update time GMT: 1130344820
	Version: 7.04147"
I think they assume it to be a teaser for their "more full featured"
(bloated) products. I don't think they see the command client as a
threat to their sales base, more like a sales tool. Little do they know
that MailScanner only requires a commandline scanner to function.

As quoted from their Linux downloads page;
" Please download our products in order to use them for free.
Thank you for choosing BitDefender AntiVirus solutions. "

and;
"BitDefender Linux Edition is a freeware product, which doesn't require
a license to be used."

--

| MailScanner; The best |___________ \N1____====== )-+
| protection on the net!|                   ~~~|/~~  |